Steps to Stopping Junk Mail
For years I have been working to stop the junk mail coming to my house. I've also been working to stop other things like free newspapers, phone books, bills, statements and pretty much anything I don't truely need delivered. I'll guide you through some of my steps I followed, but first, some reasons you might not realise...
Reasons to reduce mail:
- Save paper
- Reduce your trash
- Reduce fossil fuel use in deliverying and hauling away mail
- Reduce cost to businesses
- Reduce cost to store documents
- Personal information security. Less papers with important infomation on them.
ways to reduce
List of specific Catalogs and Offers to unsubscribe from
- Opt out of mailing lists: Many companies and organizations sell or rent their mailing lists to other businesses. To stop receiving mail from these companies, you can visit the Direct Marketing Association's website and use their "Mail Preference Service" to opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial mail.
- Use a mail-blocking service: There are several services that can help you block unwanted mail. These services may charge a fee, but they can be effective at reducing the amount of junk mail you receive.
- Use a spam filter: Most email providers offer spam filters that can help identify and block unwanted emails. You can adjust the settings on your spam filter to block emails from specific senders or with certain keywords in the subject line.
- Remove your name from mailing lists: If you receive a lot of unwanted mail from a specific company, you can contact them and ask to be removed from their mailing list.
- Use a PO Box: Using a PO Box for your mail can help reduce the amount of junk mail you receive, as many companies do not send mail to PO Boxes.
- Use a mail-forwarding service: A mail-forwarding service can help you reduce the amount of junk mail you receive by forwarding your mail to a different address. This can be helpful if you are traveling or if you do not want to receive mail at your current address.
- Use a mail-holding service: A mail-holding service can hold your mail while you are away, and then forward it to you when you return. This can help reduce the amount of junk mail you receive while you are away.
- Credit Card Offers can be easily turned off for five years at this address. You can always apply for a card online with out the pre-screened offers.
- DMA Choice Lets you set the preference to not have junk mail delivered. While not all senders follow this list, some do. Included Catalogs, magazine offers and other mail offers.
- Catalog Choice lets you find and remove yourself from specific catalogs.
- Phone books. Opt out of all phone books here.
- Bank and credit card statements can usually be turned electronic on the companies website. These are especially important for reducing identity theft from your trash.
- Stop Provocative ads with form 1500 from the USPS. It allows you to block all sexually oriented advertisements or particular advertisers you find offensive.
- Use PaperKarma iphone app (free). Just take pictures of junk mail you receive to unsubscribe! Couldn't be any easier!
- Any other items. Call or write the company as soon as you receive mail from them. Stop them in their tracks.